Dog waste contains high levels of bacteria that can affect humans and their environment. Dog waste is ranked #3 in contaminants that effect our waterways. Some of the bacteria and protozoa that thrive in a dog's gut can cause serious diseases in humans. Indirect contact, such as using dog waste for fertilizer for vegetable gardens, can be just as harmful as direct contact with waste.
Parasites can be shed in feces long before you notice the signs in your pup. Some of these parasites can live in the environment without a host for months and most are happy to feast on you! The best way to aviod an infection from parasites is regular pet waste removal and inspection. Regular fecal floats when you visit the vet will help, but keeping an eye on things in between is just as important.
Puppies can be especially susceptible to the parasites, bacteria and viruses that can be spread through dog feces.
Parvovirus, for example, in an unvaccinated puppy has a survival rate of just 10% if left untreated. If treated quickly, survival rate jumps to 80-95%
Using a true pet professional is an absolute must when it comes to caring for your pets. This includes having pet waste removed. Pet Waste Professionals will make sure to avoid cross contamination between yards and let you know if there are any irregularities in the waste.